If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 or a health care professional right away.
If you or someone you're with develops signs or symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning — headache, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, confusion — get into fresh air immediately and call 911 or emergency medical help.
The key to confirming the diagnosis is measuring the patient's carboxyhemoglobin (COHgb) level. COHgb levels can be tested either in whole blood or pulse oximeter. It is important to know how much time has elapsed since the patient has left the toxic environment, because that will impact the COHgb level.
Which of the following is an appropriate response to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning? Hyperbaric oxygen chamber to increase PO2 and clear CO from the body.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and vomiting, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, seizures, chest pain, disorientation, and loss of consciousness. CO poisoning needs to be treated right away by getting outside to fresh air and calling 911.
Never use a gas stove or oven to heat the home. Never burn charcoal inside a house, garage, vehicle or tent, including in a fireplace. Avoid using unvented gas or kerosene heaters in enclosed spaces, especially sleeping areas. Install and use fuel-burning appliances according to manufacturer instructions.
Call 911 or your local emergency number immediately if the person is: Drowsy or unconscious. Having difficulty breathing or has stopped breathing. Uncontrollably restless or agitated.
To protect yourself, maintain and inspect the boat's engine and exhaust system. Keep forward hatches open to provide air flow. Install a carbon monoxide detector. Be aware of other boats near you that may be running a generator or idling for long periods while docked.
Get to fresh air right away. Call the toll-free Poison Help line (1-800-222-1222), which connects you to your local poison center.
If the person inhaled poison, get him or her fresh air right away. If the person has poison on the skin, take off any clothing the poison touched. Rinse skin with running water for 15 to 20 minutes. If the person has poison in the eyes, rinse eyes with running water for 15 to 20 minutes.
First: First Aid in cases of Chemical and Household Cleaners Poisoning: Check breath and provide C.P.R if needed. Give cold milk and egg white. Give strong pain reliever.
Carbon monoxide is in fumes (smoke) from: Car and truck engines. Small gasoline engines. Fuel-burning space heaters (not electric).
For those who survive, recovery is slow. How well a person does depends on the amount and length of exposure to the carbon monoxide. Permanent brain damage may occur. If the person still has impaired mental ability after 2 weeks, the chance of a complete recovery is worse.
In the human body, carbon dioxide is formed intracellularly as a byproduct of metabolism. CO2 is transported in the bloodstream to the lungs where it is ultimately removed from the body through exhalation.
Which is the best precaution against carbon monoxide poisoning? Keep air flowing through the vessel.
Opening a window will slow carbon monoxide poisoning, but it likely won't stop it. There simply isn't enough airflow through most windows to get rid of the poisonous gas, and it could take between four and eight hours for the CO to dissipate entirely.
If the carbon monoxide concentration in the air is much higher, signs of poisoning may occur within 1-2 hours. A very high carbon monoxide concentration can even kill an exposed individual within 5 minutes.
General poisoning symptoms include the following. Headache, fatigue, weakness, dizziness, restlessness, perspiration, nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, loss of weight, thirst, moodiness, soreness in joints, skin irritation, eye irritation.
If unconscious: If the person is breathing normally, turn them onto their side in a supported position and open and clear their airway.
The first step in any case of suspected poisoning is to (a) find out what poison has been taken. (b) call a poison control center. (c) induce vomiting. (d) see if the victim develops symptoms.
Anywhere in the country, when people call 1-800-222-1222, they are connected immediately to their poison center. This number should be programmed in all phones and posted in homes, schools and businesses.