This sensor can detect and measure CO concentration in the atmosphere. If the sensor detects high levels of CO, the microchip will trigger an alarm. The CO alarm is powered by a home's or business's electrical system or a battery. CO detectors may also include a power indicator light, test button, and LCD screen.
CO alarms are designed to warn you of any unusual build-up of CO in your home. These higher levels of CO may occur from improperly maintained, installed or used fuel-burning appliances, backdrafting appliances or fireplaces, or idling cars in garages.
Call your emergency services (fire department or 911). Immediately move to fresh air - outdoors or by an open door or window. Do a head count to check that all persons are accounted for.
If your detector is low on battery, you will likely hear a short chirp every minute. To warn of dangerous CO levels, most detectors will beep 4 or 5 times in a row about every 4 seconds. Do not mistake dangerous levels of poisonous gas for a detector with low battery!
In domestic properties, your CO alarm can be triggered by any fuel burning appliance such as gas cookers, boilers and ovens. All of these appliances give off small traces of CO, but the levels can rise slightly when adequate ventilation isn't provided, or the venting is blocked or clogged by dust.
CO can be produced when burning fuels such as gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil or wood. CO is the product of incomplete combustion.
Opening a window will slow carbon monoxide poisoning, but it likely won't stop it. There simply isn't enough airflow through most windows to get rid of the poisonous gas, and it could take between four and eight hours for the CO to dissipate entirely.
If the carbon monoxide concentration in the air is much higher, signs of poisoning may occur within 1-2 hours. A very high carbon monoxide concentration can even kill an exposed individual within 5 minutes.
A carbon monoxide detector is a must for any home and just as important as a smoke detector. CO detectors should be placed near all bedrooms; they're the only way you will know if carbon monoxide is affecting the air quality in your home, and can help prevent serious illness and even death.
Will a carbon monoxide detector detect a gas leak? Technically speaking, a carbon monoxide detector is not designed to detect the presence of gas. Instead, these devices alert for elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the air that could be the result of toxic gases or air quality issues.
A CO alarm that beeps continuously without stopping could indicate that carbon monoxide is present. If you your CO alarm is sounding continuously and you have signs of CO poisoning such as dizziness, headache, vomiting or flu like symptoms, find fresh air and call 9-1-1 immediately.
Alerts You to CO Threats: The First Alert battery-operated carbon monoxide alarm uses an advanced electrochemical CO sensor to detect elevated carbon monoxide levels. When CO is detected, the carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm to warn you of the threat.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no odor, color or taste. You wouldn't be able to see or smell it, but it can be very dangerous to your health and even fatal.
Household appliances — such as gas fires, boilers, central heating systems, water heaters, cookers, and open fires that use gas, oil, coal, and wood — may be possible sources of CO gas. Due to poor maintenance, ventilation, or other technical faults, they may produce the gas.
CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.
Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance.
In fresh air, it takes four to six hours for a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning to exhale about half of the inhaled carbon monoxide in their blood.
One skill sometimes credited to dogs is the ability to sense or detect carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, even a dog's incredible nose can't detect carbon monoxide, though pets can still play an important role in the early detection of poisonous gas.
To date, many different methods have been developed for neutralizing carbon monoxide in gas emissions. The most widely used are absorption, thermal, adsorption and catalytic methods.
Whether the smoke detector is battery-operated or wired, they have a battery backup if there is a power loss. Inserting the battery incorrectly in the smoke detector will cause it to beep a few times frequently. By removing the battery and inserting it correctly, you can stop the carbon monoxide detector from beeping.
Carbon monoxide can be created in your home without you knowing it. If poorly ventilated, space heaters, gas stove, furnace, heaters, and refrigerators can all emit CO.
Carbon monoxide is in fumes (smoke) from: Car and truck engines. Small gasoline engines. Fuel-burning space heaters (not electric).
In others, a steady or blinking green light on a carbon monoxide detector can mean it's detected a** low-level presence of carbon monoxide**. If the presence increased, it would cause the alarm to sound. It could also mean it's time to replace the battery, especially if it's also chirping.
Signs of a carbon monoxide leak in your house or home
Stale, stuffy, or smelly air, like the smell of something burning or overheating. Soot, smoke, fumes, or back-draft in the house from a chimney, fireplace, or other fuel burning equipment. The lack of an upward draft in chimney flue. Fallen soot in fireplaces.