Call 911 immediately and report that the alarm has gone off. Do not assume it is safe to reenter the home when the alarm stops. When you open windows and doors, it helps diminish the amount of carbon monoxide in the air, but the source may still be producing the gas.
Call 911 when your CO detector goes off. Emergency responders are trained to identify and treat the symptoms of CO poisoning. Firefighters are also equipped to find the source of Carbon Monoxide leaks and to stop them.
Your carbon monoxide alarm is going off for one of the following reasons: It is doing its job properly and detects CO pollution in the air. It is a false alarm caused by other household items. The detector is malfunctioning or the batteries need changing.
Open your windows. Leave your home. Get to fresh air immediately. Call 911 to ask the Fire Department to check the carbon monoxide level in your home.
Local firefighters use meters to test those who may have been exposed and to locate the source. They urge everyone-- pay attention to your CO detector, and if you hear it alarm, call 911. Firefighters recommend checking your carbon monoxide detector every six months, when you check your smoke detector.
If the carbon monoxide concentration in the air is much higher, signs of poisoning may occur within 1-2 hours. A very high carbon monoxide concentration can even kill an exposed individual within 5 minutes.
A carbon monoxide detector is a must for any home and just as important as a smoke detector. CO detectors should be placed near all bedrooms; they're the only way you will know if carbon monoxide is affecting the air quality in your home, and can help prevent serious illness and even death.
CO alarms become erratic once expired. This is the most common reason for false alarms. Excessive moisture from a bathroom may set off your CO alarm. CO alarms should not be installed in areas with excessive steam.
The half-life of carboxyhemoglobin in fresh air is approximately 4 hours. To completely flush the carbon monoxide from the body requires several hours, valuable time when additional damage can occur.
Carbon monoxide levels must build up in your home before an alarm goes off. Since an alarm measures the amount of carbon monoxide over a certain period, it could take your detector hours to go off or 10 or 20 minutes if you have a lot of gas building up in your home.
Call your emergency services (fire department or 911). Immediately move to fresh air - outdoors or by an open door or window. Do a head count to check that all persons are accounted for.
Most people with a mild exposure to carbon monoxide experience headaches, fatigue, and nausea. Unfortunately, the symptoms are easily overlooked because they are often flu-like. Medium exposure can cause you to experience a throbbing headache, drowsiness, disorientation, and an accelerated heart rate.
Carbon monoxide has no smell, no taste, and no sound. Neither people nor animals can tell when they are breathing it, but it can be fatal. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a byproduct of combustion.
For those who survive, recovery is slow. How well a person does depends on the amount and length of exposure to the carbon monoxide. Permanent brain damage may occur. If the person still has impaired mental ability after 2 weeks, the chance of a complete recovery is worse.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can become deadly in a matter of minutes. If you suspect CO poisoning, leave your home or building immediately and call 911 or go to the emergency room. If treated quickly, the effects of CO poisoning can be reversed.
Clothes dryers. Water heaters. Furnaces or boilers. Fireplaces, both gas and wood burning.
To put it simply, Apple's poisonous gas sensor will be able to detect a host of gases which includes the likes of harmful gases such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and VOCs among others.
Cities and fire departments often offer free carbon monoxide detectors to people who meet eligibility requirements. You might also be able to convince your landlord or the seller of a home you're buying to install a carbon monoxide detector.
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you.
If your carbon monoxide detector alarm sounds and/or you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, leave the area to get to fresh air and immediately call 911.
On First Alert carbon monoxide alarms, the red light flashes to show the CO alarm is properly receiving battery power. If you do not see the red light flashing, change the batteries in the alarm immediately.
Opening a window will slow carbon monoxide poisoning, but it likely won't stop it. There simply isn't enough airflow through most windows to get rid of the poisonous gas, and it could take between four and eight hours for the CO to dissipate entirely.
Opening windows does not provide enough ventilation to be protective. CO is an invisible, odorless gas that can be fatal. If you breathe in a lot of CO gas, it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.