BLUE/CO: Blue light flashes rapidly when sensor detects elevated CO levels.
Here's a simple guide: Smoke alarms alert you with three beeps in a row. Carbon monoxide alarms alert you with four beeps. A single chirp means the battery is low or the detector should be replaced.
(1) The CO Alarm will not work without good batteries - the green power light must flash every 45 seconds. If the battery has been drained the alarm will not give protection. Button test the alarm on return from holidays and other long absences. (2) Carbon Monoxide must enter the unit for it to be detected.
On First Alert carbon monoxide alarms, the red light flashes to show the CO alarm is properly receiving battery power. If you do not see the red light flashing, change the batteries in the alarm immediately.
In others, a steady or blinking green light on a carbon monoxide detector can mean it's detected a** low-level presence of carbon monoxide**. If the presence increased, it would cause the alarm to sound. It could also mean it's time to replace the battery, especially if it's also chirping.
If the red or green light on your CO detector is illuminated, that's a sign that the unit has power. If the light is off, replace the batteries and follow the reset steps.
A carbon monoxide detector is a must for any home and just as important as a smoke detector. CO detectors should be placed near all bedrooms; they're the only way you will know if carbon monoxide is affecting the air quality in your home, and can help prevent serious illness and even death.
If the carbon monoxide concentration in the air is much higher, signs of poisoning may occur within 1-2 hours. A very high carbon monoxide concentration can even kill an exposed individual within 5 minutes.
If your detector is low on battery, you will likely hear a short chirp every minute. To warn of dangerous CO levels, most detectors will beep 4 or 5 times in a row about every 4 seconds. Do not mistake dangerous levels of poisonous gas for a detector with low battery!
Carbon Monoxide Sources in the Home
Clothes dryers. Water heaters. Furnaces or boilers. Fireplaces, both gas and wood burning.
Opening a window will slow carbon monoxide poisoning, but it likely won't stop it. There simply isn't enough airflow through most windows to get rid of the poisonous gas, and it could take between four and eight hours for the CO to dissipate entirely.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can become deadly in a matter of minutes. If you suspect CO poisoning, leave your home or building immediately and call 911 or go to the emergency room. If treated quickly, the effects of CO poisoning can be reversed.
The most common source of CO poisoning is unvented space heaters in the home. An unvented space heater uses combustible fuel and indoor air for the heating process. It vents the gases it makes into the room, instead of outdoors.
Most people with a mild exposure to carbon monoxide experience headaches, fatigue, and nausea. Unfortunately, the symptoms are easily overlooked because they are often flu-like. Medium exposure can cause you to experience a throbbing headache, drowsiness, disorientation, and an accelerated heart rate.
Low level: 50 PPM and less. Mid level: Between 51 PPM and 100 PPM. High level: Greater than 101 PPM if no one is experiencing symptoms. Dangerous level: Greater than 101 PPM if someone is experiencing symptoms.
Carbon monoxide detector batteries need to be replaced every six months (a great time to do this is during daylight saving time when you're turning your clocks back or forward).
Will a carbon monoxide detector detect a gas leak? Technically speaking, a carbon monoxide detector is not designed to detect the presence of gas. Instead, these devices alert for elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the air that could be the result of toxic gases or air quality issues.
Can a carbon monoxide detector go off for no reason? In most cases, no. There is typically a reason why the CO alarm is sounding, whether it detects carbon monoxide in the air or is low on battery. Most CO detectors beep every 30 seconds if the battery is low.
House mold consumes oxygen and releases carbon dioxide (CO2). According to Dr. Paul Armstrong, a researcher with the USDA, “As mold grows, it gives off carbon dioxide. Therefore, if there is a CO2 spike, there is likely an increase of mold activity.”