Lingering Smoke After the Alarm: After a smoke alarm goes off, smoke might be lingering around the unit. Many smoke detectors blink red during the period when smoke is clearing the area after the initial alarm.
The smoke alarm is desensitized by pushing the Test/Hush button on the smoke alarm cover. If the smoke is not too dense, the alarm will silence immediately and the red LED blinks every 10 seconds. This indicates that the alarm is in a temporarily desensitized condition.
If your detector or alarm has a blinking or steady light with no audible alarm sound, this typically indicates that the unit is receiving power.
Most smoke detectors use a red blinking LED light to alert users to an active alarm. In this case, the red LED light will flash once for every 45 seconds that the alarm is active. This is usually a common thing across smoke detector brands, regardless of the manufacturer.
This battery characteristic can cause a smoke alarm to enter the low battery chirp mode when air temperatures drop. Most homes are the coolest between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. That's why the alarm may sound a low-battery chirp in the middle of the night, and then stop when the home warms up a few degrees.
If your alarms use regular batteries, swap in fresh batteries at least once a year. A “chirping” sound means that it's time to change batteries. Because alarm sensors wear out, replace each alarm at least every 10 years. Also, alarms have labels showing when they were made.
The CO alarm will sound if your sensor detects a high buildup of carbon monoxide in your home. Most people begin to feel the effects of carbon monoxide at 50 ppm, so be sure your detector can sense an amount of 50 ppm or less.
What does it mean? This is the power indicator light: First Alert and BRK alarms have a power indicator light to show you that your alarm is receiving power. Some alarms have a red or green light that blinks every few minutes, while other models blink rapidly or shine a solid light.
What does it mean when a smoke detector blinks red? If your smoke detector is blinking red, it usually indicates that the battery needs to be replaced. Though occasionally, it could also mean that there's a short circuit somewhere in the device. Some models also have a speaking function that will announce “Fire!
The mains powered smoke alarms have a green indicator. Smoke Alarms have a red light that goes off every 40 to 60 seconds to tell you if they're working. When the smoke alarm is activated, the red light flashes continuously.
A carbon monoxide detector is a must for any home and just as important as a smoke detector. CO detectors should be placed near all bedrooms; they're the only way you will know if carbon monoxide is affecting the air quality in your home, and can help prevent serious illness and even death.
Carbon monoxide gas is colourless and does not smell, so you cannot tell if it is around you. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: headache.
If the carbon monoxide concentration in the air is much higher, signs of poisoning may occur within 1-2 hours. A very high carbon monoxide concentration can even kill an exposed individual within 5 minutes.
Testing and Changing Your Fire Alarm Battery
If your smoke alarms are powered by a nine-volt battery, the battery should be replaced every 6 months, while the alarm itself should be replaced once every 10 years. For 10-year lithium-powered fire detectors, you won't need to replace the battery.
Most smoke detectors are designed to go off when their electrical current goes down. That's because smoke in the air will reduce the current. If your battery is dying, the current that's flowing through your sensor also goes down. And so you can get a false positive.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends changing the batteries in your smoke detectors every 6 months. At First Alert, we offer 10-year smoke alarms that have a built-in 10-year battery, which eliminates the need for battery replacements for the life of the detectors.
CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.
Opening a window will slow carbon monoxide poisoning, but it likely won't stop it. There simply isn't enough airflow through most windows to get rid of the poisonous gas, and it could take between four and eight hours for the CO to dissipate entirely.
For those who survive, recovery is slow. How well a person does depends on the amount and length of exposure to the carbon monoxide. Permanent brain damage may occur. If the person still has impaired mental ability after 2 weeks, the chance of a complete recovery is worse.
Carbon Monoxide Sources in the Home
Clothes dryers. Water heaters. Furnaces or boilers. Fireplaces, both gas and wood burning.
The key to confirming the diagnosis is measuring the patient's carboxyhemoglobin (COHgb) level. COHgb levels can be tested either in whole blood or pulse oximeter. It is important to know how much time has elapsed since the patient has left the toxic environment, because that will impact the COHgb level.
The CO alarm sounds if your sensor detects a buildup of carbon monoxide in your home—usually before you start sensing symptoms. With a low CO level (50 ppm), it may take up to eight hours for the alarm to go off. Higher carbon monoxide levels (over 150 ppm) can trigger an alarm within minutes.
Carbon Monoxide Detection Systems Mobile App
The Carbon Monoxide Detection Systems Checklist mobile app inspects Carbon Monoxide Detection Systems using an iPad, iPhone, Android device, or a Windows desktop.
No, carbon monoxide has no smell. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that's a byproduct of combustion. As a homeowner, this means it can leak from your gas furnace, stove, dryer, and water heater as well as wood stove/fireplace.
Rotten-Egg Smell Could Be Two Things
A rotten-egg smell might be a potentially dangerous natural gas leak. Get everyone out of the house—leaving the door and windows open so that some gas can escape—and call your gas company immediately to report the problem and request further instructions.